dental caredenturesflossinghygiene tipsoral healthRoot Canal TreatmentTeeth WhiteningTooth ExtractionUncategorizedveneer
7 October 2022
Gum Bleeding Emergencies
Gum health is extremely important to maintain overall dental health. Most of the dental issues and problems show up on the gums immediately. Gum bleeding is one such symptom of many underlying dental problems.
What is Gum Bleeding?
Gum bleeding is a common symptom of gum disease. A slight bit of bleeding from the gums while brushing or even otherwise is called gum bleeding.
Is Gum Bleeding a serious concern?
Gum bleeding is normal if it happens while brushing or flossing. But, if it happens randomly when there is no pressure applied to the gums, it is a concern that calls for immediate dentist consultation. Depending upon the severity of the bleeding the seriousness of the condition can be measured. Thus, a dentist consultation is required.
Causes of Gum Bleeding?
There can be many reasons for bleeding in the gums. Here are some of them,
- Gingivitis: This is a common gum disease that causes them to bleed. It causes inflammation of the gums and then bleeding while brushing or flossing.
- Using a toothbrush with hard bristles: People with sensitive teeth and gums tend to experience gum inflammation and bleeding.
- A toothbrush with soft bristles is always a reliable option. Excessive Flossing: Sometimes, gum bleeding happens when flossing is done every day.
- This is slightly harsh on the gums and results in bleeding. Hence overdoing flossing or any of the dental care procedures can lead to gum bleeding.
- Though this is not a serious concern, it might affect gum health in the long run and can be painful. Medication: Some kinds of medication can also lead to gum bleeding especially blood thinners. Pregnancy Gingivitis: Gum inflammation and bleeding are common among pregnant women.
- This is called Pregnancy Gingivitis. Vitamin C and K deficiency: Deficiency of essential vitamins like c and K can also be the reason behind this dental concern. Taking supplements might help in such cases.
Gum bleeding can appear as a normal dental problem and many people might not take it seriously. But if it happens with sharp pain and inflammation it is an indication of certain gum diseases like gingivitis or scurvy. Gum bleeding and painful gums, if left untreated for a long period of time can lead to periodontitis.
Hence if it happens regularly and randomly without any pressure on the gums, a dentist consultation is necessary and important.
Home care for Gum Bleeding
Since most cases of gum, bleeding is normal due to deficiency and over-flossing, simple everyday habits and care can keep this gum condition at bay. Some of them are,
- Brushing with a soft-bristled brush.
- Flossing once a week.
- Regular dental checkups.
- Eating Vitamin C and K rich foods.
- Using a mouthwash that is prescribed by the dentist if necessary.
Gum bleeding is a symptom and a condition of gum that can be cured and reversed with proper care and treatment. Thus, oral hygiene with proper dental care routine and regular dentist visits are extremely important to keep gum bleeding at bay.