12 Dec HOW TO KEEP THE GUMS STRONG AND HEALTHY – ELITE DENTAL CARE TRACY
When we consider dental health, we usually focus on the teeth. Our area of concern remains to have a perfect set of straight and brightening teeth. We tend to overlook our gums. Sometimes our teeth may seem to be perfect, but the gums might be having some underlying issue. Gum diseases do not show troublesome symptoms like pain, but they keep growing internally. We forget that to have healthy teeth, healthy gums are a must.
What are the causes of gums diseases?
- Plaque is the primary reason for gum diseases. When you consume sugary foods and juices and do not keep your teeth healthy, bacterial growth erupts leading to plaque. Plaque forms a film on the surface of the teeth and as it hardens, forms a substance called tartar. When this is left untreated, the plaque penetrates the gums and eventually leads to the loss of a tooth.
- Improper brushing and flossing of teeth also lead to gum diseases.
- Being careless about the early symptoms of tooth decay.
Which gum diseases are caused due to unhealthy gums?
Gingivitis is a gum disease that leads to the inflammation of the gums due to a bacterial infection. A small space is created in the gums where the food and plaque get accumulated. The bacteria in the plaque keeps growing and leads to the inflammation of the gums. It leads to bleeding of the gums while brushing the teeth. Bleeding of gums is usually not taken seriously. But if gingivitis is left untreated, it can lead to a worse consequence called periodontitis. Periodontitis increases the gap between the teeth and the gums, leading to the formation of debris. This breaks the bone and connective tissues holding the teeth. Eventually, teeth are loosened leading to tooth loss. Gum disease happens to be the prime cause of tooth loss in adults.
What are the symptoms of a gum disease?
- Swollen gums
- Bleeding of gums while brushing the teeth
- Gums pulling away from teeth
- Loosened teeth
- Pus formation in between the teeth or at the gums
- Toothache while chewing the food
- Bad breath
How to keep the gums strong and healthy?
- Brushing the teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to remove the food residues and sugary substances stuck on the teeth. Brushing must be done at a 45-degrees angle to the gums so as not to hurt the gums.
- Scrub your tongue well as bacteria can stay there.
- Choose the toothpaste that contains fluoride, ADA seal of approval and that which suits your gums. If the toothpaste doesn’t suit your teeth, replace it quickly. Also, change your toothbrush once in three months for best results.
- Flossing the teeth regularly as flossing removes the plaque and food residue that is not cleaned while brushing. If the food and plaque are not removed timely, these can lead to the growth of bacteria and tooth decay.
- Your eating habits can affect your gums and teeth. Eat fiber-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water as water flushes out the food residue and bacteria.
- Limiting the consumption of sugary foods and foods that spoil your dental health.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and alcohol which dry the mouth. Saliva is a defence agent against the bacteria in the mouth, and if the mouth becomes dry, bacteria settles easily in between the teeth.
- Avoid smoking as smoking weakens the gums. Once your gums are damaged due to smoking, they cannot be treated or reversed.
- If you have a plaque build-up or any dental issue, use therapeutic mouthwash which would reduce the plaque build-up and prevent any kind of dental problems.
- Restrict the usage of feeding bottles in children which cause white spots on the gum line and eventually weaken the gums. Do not put the babies to sleep with feeding bottle in the mouth.
- Do not feed the children with sugary foods and juices. To an extent, avoid adding sugar to the milk as well.
- Visit your dentist regularly and get your dental check-up done to detect the ailment at an early stage and treat it before it worsens.
- Regular dental cleaning of your mouth will remove form plaque and tartar from the teeth.
From the above-mentioned gum diseases, it is understandable that healthy gums are a must for healthy teeth. Practice oral hygiene and keep your gums clean. You can visit the Elite Dental Care to detect your gum issues and treat them with the best care.