14 Dec HOW DO DENTAL VENEERS PROTECT FROM THE DENTAL DAMAGE – THE ELITE DENTAL CARE
Cavities, tooth decay, discoloration of a tooth are a few common dental issues that most of the people experience at some point of time in life. These dental issues required intense treatments in the early days, but now it has become quite convenient to get these issues sorted. Various prosthetic devices are available to correct the dental defects, and one among them is a dental veneer.
What is Dental Veneer?
A dental veneer is a prosthetic device composed of a material like porcelain and placed over a tooth to correct the tooth imperfections. Veneers enhance the aesthetics of the teeth, enhancing the smile and improving the overall dental health. Retaining of natural teeth is the best option. And to protect them, dental veneers are an ideal option.
What are the Dental Veneers made of?
Dental veneers are usually composed of one of these materials:
Composite Dental Veneer: A composite veneer made of resin composite can be directly placed on the tooth or manufactured in a dental lab and bonded on the tooth using resin cement.
Porcelain Dental Veneer: These are made of porcelain and are fabricated indirectly in a lab and then bonded on the tooth.
What are the uses of Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer is used for several purposes in the dentistry such as the ones listed below.
- To camouflage the minor dental defects and whiten the teeth.
- To correct broken teeth, crooked or chipped or fractured teeth.
- To restore the fractured or discolored teeth and also to cover the teeth that turn yellow permanently.
- To protect the teeth whose edges are worn-out, resulting in a prematurely aged appearance.
- To protect the teeth from enamel abrasion where the enamel is worn-out due to the consumption of highly acidic foods and drinks.
- Sometimes there are gaps between the teeth, and black triangles appear between the teeth. These gaps can be covered using the veneers.
- To reshape and strengthen the worn-down teeth.
- To prevent plaque build-up on the teeth.
How are the veneers placed on the tooth?
The dentist will examine your teeth and study the conditions thoroughly. After the examination, you are interrogated whether veneers can be placed, and if you affirm to it, the following procedure is carried out. A maximum of three visits is necessary to get the veneers placed. The first visit is for the examination and in the second visit, the dentist will create an impression of your tooth. It is then sent to the laboratory for the veneer to be manufactured. It takes 2-3 weeks for the veneers to get ready meanwhile, temporary veneers are placed.
Once the veneers are ready, the dentist will place it on your tooth and examine its fit and color. After a few trials, when the correct position where the veneer fits is determined, the tooth is cleaned, polished and etched. Etching roughens the teeth to make the bonding easier. Resin cement is applied on the veneer, and it is placed on the tooth. A beam of light is projected on the veneer to activate the chemicals in the resin cement, making it harder. After making the final adjustments, the process is over and the dentist might ask you to visit soon for a follow-up.
The process is quite simple, and the veneers start protecting the teeth right from the instant of installation. Though there are so many advantages of veneers, there are a few cons as well that cannot be neglected.
What are the disadvantages of Dental Veneers?
- The veneers are a little expensive.
- These are permanent fixtures and hence cannot be repaired if chipped or broken but only be replaced completely.
- Once the veneers are placed on the tooth, the color of the veneers cannot be changed. Hence it is necessary to check the color before the placement.
- People having bruxism can damage the porcelain veneers while grinding the teeth and the veneers may break or chip.
Dental veneers can correct or camouflage your tooth imperfections perfectly but require good aftercare. You must maintain proper oral hygiene, brush and floss your teeth regularly and do not stain your veneers. Though veneers are a little expensive, it is a good option if you wish to correct your teeth and to get the best service at affordable rates, visit the Elite Dental Care. Your smile is precious, and so are your teeth. We preserve them to preserve your smile.